Thursday, 30 May 2013

Teasing the Audience

This post is a lot less flirtatious than the title suggests. It is also less of a lesson, than a description of what this post is trying to accomplish.

Oh yes. That means, I'm teasing you! Have a letter written by a side-character to the main characters, as his final goodbye.

* * *

Dear Riley and Kael,
This letter will be the last you know of me. I am dying. I have been dying for a long time. Finally, my fear of death without knowing who I am has overcome my fear of knowing who I am. I spent decades here, and there are volumes of text that I dedicated my time too, that no one will know I wrote, or painstakingly transcribed. I'm afraid of dying as a nobody. It's been so long that I don't know if my memories will even come back. I never tried to get them back, because I'd come here out of fear to make a deal, and so I never wanted to know what I was afraid of.
You may be wondering why I am writing this to you. I don't know. Maybe I want to know that at least two people will remember me, even if they don't know me. Or maybe I want to be a lesson to you both. Don't ever become complacent. Fight for your memories back. If Delia is correct, and Riley is one of the last remnants of the Pelagian Empire, then I have to believe you both must have some purpose that needs to be fulfilled. When your contract is up, please, leave. I may never see either of you again, but it will kill me some comfort in my final hours to think that you will not give into the fear as I did. Leave if you can.
Your friend,

Emil
* * *
Want to know what in the seven hells is going on? Well, you are just going to have to stick around and wait until The Brightest Night is finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment